First of all,
I really hope all of you are doing well and taking care of you and your loved ones by staying inside. It is a very grave time right now but we must not lose hope. My country just announced a lockdown as well so there is a lot of panic circulating among people. However, since we have so much time now we can literally learn, read and watch anything that we have always wanted to. So I’ll be making blog posts at regular intervals about the things I’ve been doing so hopefully you can get an idea about how to spend your time productively. (or not)
📗 Books 📗
- Six stories by Matt Wesolowski : So this was a thriller-mystery told in the format of a podcast which instantly hooked me into the story. I thought the format and writing of the book was really great and there were spooky undertones throughout the story, which made it even more intense and appealing to read. However, the pay off wasn’t great and I pretty much guessed the who-dunnit part. Nevertheless, a solid book. 3.5/5 stars.
- Never let me go by Kazou Ishiguru : Oh boy. I hope I do not offend anyone because I know a lot of people love this book but I certainly did not. In fact, I pretty much hated it. I found the writing style extremely mediocre and quite annoying since it felt as if the narrator was talking to me in a very casual tone. I can tolerate sloppy writing in thrillers and romance books but this was supposed to be a masterpiece in fiction. Uh no. It wasn’t. Also the concept was great but the execution was really poor. I found a hard time trying not to dnf it. 1/5 stars.
🕒 Quarantine tbr
- Stalker by Lars Kepler : I have no clue what this book is about except the fact that it has to do with stalkers (obviously) I’m going to buddy read this with my friend-Kriti from tomorrow and I’m super excited for it.
- Would like to meet by Rachel Winters : It has been a while since I read a feel good romance book so I might either go with this or the one mentioned below. This one is a hate-to-love story which is my favorite trope of all time so I think I will enjoy it but let us see.
- The worst best man by Mia Sosa : A recent release and also a hate-to-love trope romance book. This sounds a lot similar to the unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren and I really loved that. I’m hoping this would lift up my mood and make me feel all good and happy. That is honestly the only thing I look for in these sort of books anyway.
- Everything I never told you by Celeste Ng : I’m pretty sure everyone has heard about this one. The hulu series came out recently starring Reese Witherspoon (whom I adore, so much.) and I cant wait to binge watch it but I need to read the book first. I’ve heard a lot of praise about the story as well as the writing style of the author and it just sounds like something I would love.
- The Road by Cormac Mcarthy : This is set in a post apocalyptic world and follows a father and his son as they walk alone through burned America. I feel like this is another book that would be a great pick for now. Also the movie came out in 2009 starring Viggo Mortensen ( ❤ )
For now this is my plan but it might change and I might decide to read some other books altogether. Also, I have all of these books as well as some other popular titles in mobi and epub format, so if anyone wants to read these they can let me know and I’ll text them the file. I know it is not exactly ethical to do so but the world is in quarantine and people might not have access to a bookstore, library or might not find it safe to buy things online, so I think doing this is okay.
🎞 Movies 🎞
- Contagion (2011) : Yes I did the basic thing. I watched this movie and freaked myself out. Although the story-line was really flat and ambiguous, the movie has horrifying similarities with the current situation. It has a very loose end but it manages to make a solid point. If you tend to get anxious easily I would not recommend for you to watch it. Others can definitely watch for the thrill and relatability. 6.5/10
- All the bright places (2020) : I have a lot of thoughts on this one. All the bright places used to be my favorite book. It still has a five star rating on my goodreads. However, i think if I go back and reread it it will become one of my most disliked books. I won’t dive into reasons for the same, I think I’ve grown a lot as a reader and a lot of my views about certain things have changed drastically. There is no easy way to say this but I found the movie really bad. A lot of important details were chopped off and they practically ruined Finch’s character. 4/10
- Spirited Away (2001) : Oh my god, I loved this. It was my first Studio-Ghibli movie and I fell in love with it. One of the best animated movies ever made. It transported me to a completely different world. And It was truly dream-like. Not only it is magical but also has so many layers and themes within it. Beautiful! 8.5/10
- Sleeping with other people (2015) : A very unconventional yet sweet romcom! It was funny, I loved the characters and it filled my heart with warmth. 7/10
📝 Other things 📝
- Studying : I know it might be very difficult to concentrate with everything going on. I am having similar problems especially since I still have my final exams and entrance exams (for uni) left and I have no clue when are those going to be taken now. And I know a lot of people are in similar situations. However I think It is very important to keep working and revising even if only for 2-3 hours a day.
- There are some amazing channels on youtube for learning about new topics. Personally I’m very interested in World History and Literature. I cannot recommend oversimplified enough, it is one of my favorite channels and I promise learning about history won’t seem even a tad boring when it’s on their channel. I’m pretty sure everyone knows about Crashcourse. They have amazing videos as well and don’t forget to check out the series on literature.
- Cooking : I baked a cake yesterday with my brother and it was kind of fun, which is surprising since I do not like to cook or bake. I’m thinking of trying out new recipes. Will update if it is something I take on!